sobota, 9 marca 2013

THE ESSENCE OF "THE POLISHNESS"

The more I travel abroad, face different cultures and meet new people the more I ask myself "How to define polishness. What are we like? How do others see us?"

Damn, it is a hard nut to crack to come up with the perfect definition of the "polishness". The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about my fellow countrymen is that we simply love to complain! We can complain for hours about politics (well, in this case it is 100% justifiable), money, existential problems, love. Men complain about women. Women complain about men. That's not the only "polish" thing. I've been trying to find more of them. I talked to my best friend, a Polish philology student, if according to her it is possible to say that Disco Polo and beer with raspberry syrup can fit the definition of the "polishness". Not surprisingly, she said that beer with raspberry syrup is for occasional drinkers, not the "stereotypical Poles" who, in addition, aren't massive fans of Disco Polo. That is the contradiction of my hypothesis so I decided to give up on trying to define it... It's up to you to judge it. However, here is a little hint that may help you to get familiar with our culture and experience it on your own. 

As we all know, the best way to comprehend the locals is simply to spend with them as much time as possible. We, Warszawiacy (yeah, we, people from Warsaw) like to spend evenings with friends. Either at home or in pubs and bars. There're plenty of bars to choose from but not in every bar you'll meet the realest Poles. Warsaw is full of Arabic, Indian and international places. If you starve to grasp the meaning of the polishness I recommend you to go to one of those in Praga Północ district or the city centre.


Pavilions Nowy Świat 26 (in the yard) in the city centre, Nowy Świat street.
The pavilions above are the apple of the eye of Varsavians, the soul of the city for many students. The government once wanted to annihilate them but, luckily, the youth from Warsaw stood against the gov's decision. Students of the polytechnic, the University and other school often come here for sheesha and some beer. It's a must during your stay in our city. Once you go there you'll feel the real Warsaw's atmosphere floating in the air of those cozy cafes. 


the surroundings of the pavilions. Paradise for Graffiti fans!

If you feel like taking a trip to other districts you should visit Praga Północ.
There are quite a few night clubs and pubs. I chose the most friendly and unique ones.

OPARY ABSURDU - if you feel like chilling out, sipping some good beer and experiencing the perfect mixture of Kazimierz district in Kraków and Praga in Warsaw, go to Opary Absurdu.

LA PLAYA - Real paradise for those who miss the beach but can't go to the seaside! Open from May to September, by the Vistula river. The realest beach with sand, sunbeds and refreshing drinks.

SKŁAD BUTELEK - If you're up to something fun but you aren't decided if you want to dance or chill out this is a perfect place for you. Live music, concerts and parties.

PANTOGRAF - If you wanna feel like home go to Pantograf. A cozy pub with a fireplace, home cuisine and wide range of alcohols.

SENS NONSENSU - A perfect place for those of you who wish to experience the real Praga's atmosphere. A place located in an old tenement house. 

SEN PSZCZOŁY - Was such a nice place but unfortunately got burnt:(

the surroundings of the pavilions
I hope that this post was a bit useful and that after trying out my propositions you'll be able to come up with your own definitions of the polishness;)
No doubt, it is not the only way to feel the atmosphere of Warsaw. I'll be updating it all gradually:)



1 komentarz:

  1. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming
    having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% positive.

    Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

    Also visit my website; visit this hyperlink

    OdpowiedzUsuń